Amazon’s second annual Prime Day came back with a vengeance. Last year, customers complained about a lack of enticing deals and limited availability on hot products to such a degree that the hashtag #PrimeDayFail started trending. As a result, Amazon promised to not disappoint their beloved Prime customers this time.
That promise paid off: Amazon announced that this was their biggest day ever; Prime Day sales increased 300% since last year. Amazon, however, left out specific information about which products, brands and categories won the day. Using 1010data’s Market Insights, we’re going to fill you in on everything that was not released by Amazon. We looked at the top 1000 items based on units sold and here’s what we uncovered.
1) Amazon Had 12 of the Top 20 Items Sold
Amazon strategized and claimed 60% of the top 20 items sold on Prime Day this year. In comparison, Amazon’s own products only took up 9 of the top 20 slots last year.
2) Amazon Gift Cards Crushed It
Amongst tablets, memory cards and kitchenware, Amazon Gift Cards managed to snake their way into the top 5 for the second year in a row.
3) Exploding Kittens Blew Up
The popular card game from The Oatmeal sold the Imploding Kittens pack for the first time on Prime Day and was able to secure a spot in the top 20.
4) Amazon Fire TV Stick Wasn’t The True Top Selling Item
If you don’t count the model colors as separate items then the new 8GB Fire Tablet was actually the top selling item.
The Top 20 Items Sold by Units Sold on Prime Day 2016
- Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W
- Amazon Echo
- Fire Tablet, 7 Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black
- SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Grey/Red, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA)
- com eGift Cards
- Fire Tablet, 7 Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Blue
- Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote
- Amazon Fire TV
- Fire Tablet, 7 Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Magenta
- Fire Tablet, 7 Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Tangerine
- Exploding Kittens: A Card Game About Kittens and Explosions and Sometimes Goats
- com Gift Card in a Greeting Card (Various Designs)
- Bose SoundSport in-ear headphones – Charcoal
- Xbox One Special Edition Dusk Shadow Wireless Controller
- Kindle Paperwhite E-reader - Black, 6 High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
- SanDisk 32 GB micro SD Memory Card for Fire Tablets and All-New Fire TV
- SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Black, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA)
- com Gift Card in a Black Gift Box (Various Card Designs)
- SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-GAM46) [Newest Version]
1) 30% Of The Top 1000 Items Were Amazon Products
Customer favorites like the Fire TV Stick returned to the number one spot, while the new product, Amazon Echo, debuted at number three on our list. The new 8GB Fire Tablets in a variety of colors also claimed several of the top slots.
2) Some Top Brands Were Driven By One Item
Instant Pot and Exploding Kittens LLC surged to success by the sales of just one product while Amazon profited from hundreds.
1) Top Items Sold Didn’t Dictate Top Categories
Cell Phones and Mobile Apps made up most of the top 1000 items sold, even though none of the top products sold came from those categories.
2) Most Top Categories Mimicked Last Year’s
Home, Kitchen and Electronics dominated the first Prime Day, and this year saw similar results. A few oddballs, like Mobile Apps and Women’s Wallets, grew in popularity this time around.
Amazon is changing corporate behavior in the ecommerce space. We expect more retailers to exploit ecommerce to boost overall sales and reach a broader audience. If you’d like to see our latest analyses on retail and ecommerce, follow our blog at 1010data.com/company/blog.
1010data utilizes a number of sources of consumer spending data representing millions of consumers to provide an accurate assessment of online and offline retail sales and market share. Our data enables clients to track consumer behavior using high-quality, granular datasets that are often difficult to source, cleanse, and consolidate.