In today’s foodie culture, it’s all about the hunt for the perfect culinary experience. Whether that be in gourmet restaurants or your regional burger joint, the food industry is stepping up its game to meet the consumer’s growing demands for quality.
Fast food chains have dominated the burger industry for decades, but as the culture shifts, so has the breadth of options for burgers. The number of fast casual burger chains in this country is endless, with chains like BurgerFi, Five Guys, Habit Burger, In-N-Out, Shake Shack, Smashburger and Whataburger, fitting the new hybrid model. Somewhere between fast food drive-thru and full-service restaurant, these chains are enticing to consumers searching for a fast casual dining experience.
1010data analyzed the performance of seven fast casual burger chains during Q1 2017 and found that:
- Whataburger has the highest share of transactions in the fast casual burger space
- Shake Shack grew the most and Five Guys had the most decline in sales year over year
- Chains with more menu variety, like Shake Shack and BurgerFi, have the highest average order size
- Whataburger customers make purchases twice as often as customers of other chains
- 86% of customers who dined at multiple chains purchased from just two
- Five Guys has a 90-day churn rate of 60% despite having the most locations in this space
Click here to access the full analysis.